Sunday, May 8, 2011

18: Making more blogs

English teachers like to read the whole book. Remember when you were in high school, and you were too busy being popular or high (or both) to do your assigned reading? The kid you copied from probably grew up to be an English teacher.

Things you might hear from a current or future English teacher when you admit to not reading the book include: "But it's so good," "You missed so much," and "Shame on you." Sites like SparkNotes and Shmoop are wonderful supplementary tools if you've already read the book, but they simply don't replace it.

Even with the wealth of book information out there, some people (like high school students) are still too lazy to read it all. And thus is born Tweeting Literature, dedicated to condensing all of the classics into Twitter's 140-character limit.

You might want to follow @TweetingLit for one of the following reasons:
  1. You are one of the aforementioned lazy students who, spoiled by a lifetime of TV clips and Facebook updates, cannot sustain your attention for more than 5 seconds at a time.
  2. You are an adult who is friends with other, smarter adults who are well-read. You want to sound like you've read the same books they have.
  3. You would like to read more classic literature, but you aren't sure where to start, so you'd like some quick summaries in order to decide what to read. Note: English teachers like this option the best and are very proud of you.
  4. You don't believe that this English teacher can really summarize great works of literature in such a small space. You want to bask in my glory or revel in my defeat.
  5. You like to follow people on twitter.
Of course, if you are too cool/old/busy/cynical for Twitter, you can read all the updates at the blog link above.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to defend my high-school self by saying I didn't read those books because:

    1. I was too busy being a minor newspaper rock star.
    2. That's a lot of concentration to maintain for a long period of time. And
    3. I never flew on airplanes or walked on treadmills, which have been my primary reading venues as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely support this post! I was the kid in high school who always read the book and was looked to for quick, concise chapter summaries before class started. I usually added in my explanation "Really, my summary doesn't do it justice. You should just read it."

    I'm now doing my student teaching to become an English teacher.

    ReplyDelete